When you are involved in a romantic Chinese dating relationship, you are going to have to meet your partner’s family eventually. This often means taking a trip to China.
Visiting a foreign country can be exciting, and a trip to meet your new love interest’s family can make the trip even more thrilling. Don’t blow it by not knowing how to behave when you meet the family in person.
In China, people are generally very hospitable, but there are formalities that you should follow if you have been invited into the family home. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Don’t show up unannounced; arrange a time for the visit and make sure you arrive on time.
- Always bring a gift as a polite gesture. Remember, it is the thought that counts, so there is no need to break the bank.
- If you have an overcoat, raingear, or hat, give it to the host for proper placement.
- In most cases, you will want to remove your shoes when entering a Chinese home. However, if the host is wearing shoes, you may ask if they want you to remove yours.
- Greet everyone there, even people you do not know.
- Only sit down after you have been invited to do so.
- If you are offered tea, beverages, snacks, or dim sum, politely thank the host and then help yourself.
- Don’t ever poke fun at anything in the host’s home.
- Do not stay for longer than an hour unless you have been specifically invited to do so.
- Always express your gratitude before leaving.
These general guidelines are a good base for meeting a Chinese family on your trip to China. Remember, Chinese dating can be exciting and rewarding, but you must learn to truly appreciate and respect the culture if you want your relationship to flourish.