If you think Chinese girls are beautiful and you already have an online dating profile, you might be thinking about taking a trip to China one day. This isn’t so strange; if you meet someone online and start feeling strongly about her, you will probably want to visit her in her home country at some point.
As a Westerner, however, there are some things you probably don’t know about China. Before going to any foreign country, it is a good idea to learn a little bit about appropriate behavior.
What not to do:
- DON’T stick your chopsticks straight up in your rice. This is considered extremely rude and is associated with funerals.
- DON’T expect to eat dog locally. According to CNN, the dog consumption rate has actually declined in recent years.
- DON’T assume everyone in China speaks Chinese. The Chinese language isn’t really a single language; it is actually composed of many dialects, the most common of which are Cantonese and Mandarin.
- DON’T be afraid to use the public squat toilets. They are actually more sanitary than traditional toilets in the West. Just don’t forget to bring your own toilet paper!
What to do:
- If you are presented with a gift, DO politely refuse it several times before accepting. Do the same thing with compliments.
- DO feel free to breathe in Beijing. The air is still polluted, but it isn’t quite as bad as you might think.
- DO ask a local how to access blocked websites. Most Chinese people actually use VPNs (virtual private networks) for their internet surfing.
- DO feel free to burp in public. It’s not really rude in China! Staring is also perfectly acceptable there.
If you are getting ready to head to China to meet some beautiful Chinese girls, keep these light-hearted but important tips in mind!